Memorial Park was established in 1924 to commemorate Canadian soldiers killed in World War 1. In 1995, the .9 hectare park was designated a Heritage Site. Its heritage is noted in the original trees, the cenotaph and guns, and the rock and mortar gate posts along Esquimalt Road. Remembrance Day ceremonies are held at the cenotaph each year. It was appropriate to provide heritage lighting which King Luminaire is so well known for.